- 1. Getting started
- 2. Working with the assessment
- 3. Generating your personalized BPM/BRMS Action Plan report
1. Getting started
1.1 About the BPM/BRMS Self-Assessment
What is the purpose of the assessment?
This BPM/BRMS Self-Assessment is designed to help you gauge your organization's current level of competency regarding BPM/BRMS initiatives, and its ability to get the most value out of BPM/BRMS. Through the use of an interactive self-assessment, it assesses your organization's capabilities in five key dimensions:
- Lifecycle - the degree to which your BPM/BRMS initiative practices different stages of the BPM/BRMS lifecycle - discovery and analysis, design, implementation, deployment and operation, and monitoring and optimization.
- Organization - the extent to which your organization is ready to support the needs of a broad BPM/BRMS initiative. It explores the participation of key business and IT stakeholders in the initiative, establishes the role of a Center of Excellence (CoE), examines the availability of skills necessary to support the initiative, and assesses how well the organization is set up to manage and secure the benefits of change.
- Governance - your organization’s approach to creating a framework for the management of your BPM/BRMS initiative throughout the lifecycle, and the participants in governance processes.
- Architecture - the degree to which architecture practices are used in the development of your BPM/BRMS initiative to drive consistency of outcomes, and minimize costs and risks.
- Technology - your organization’s use of the technology underpinnings for a BPM/BRMS initiative, and the degree to which technology components are able to be used together efficiently to support the promise of BPM/BRMS across its lifecycle.
Following completion of the self-assessment, we analyze your responses to the questionnaire and provide you with an online scoresheet that presents your score in the different dimensions on a spider diagram to provide you with an overall perspective on your BPM/BRMS competency levels.
You then have the option to download a PDF report. Unique to your organization, this personalized action plan report will analyze your self-assessment information to provide you with a plan that will advise you on next steps to improve your maturity; as well as providing a detailed analysis of your competency levels benchmarked against other organizations of a similar size, in the same industry, and in the same geographical region.
How is the collected data used?
We have created this assessment as a way of gauging industry maturity in this area. It helps us to understand the current status of BPM/BRMS maturity, and over time, will help monitor trends. We do not look at individual responses - all reports and analyses work from anonymous, aggregated data. Please see the privacy section in this FAQ for further details.
What does the assessment provide?
The tool takes the assessment data that you provide about aspects of your BPM/BRMS readiness and capabilities and produces a scoring chart. It is then possible to generate and immediately download an in-depth Action Plan report that will advise you on next steps to improve your maturity.
Do I need to download and install any software?
No. The assessment is completely browser-based. If you decide to download your BPM/BRMS Action Plan report you will require the Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to read your report. The Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from Adobe here.
Is there any limit on how long I can use the assessment?
No. There is no time limit on your access to the assessment. Once you have set up your free member account and completed the self-assessment survey you can revisit it and re-generate the results as many times as you like. Similarly, you can re-visit the questionnaire and generate a new action plan report whenever you like. In fact, with new users adding benchmark data to the database all the time, we actively encourage you to re-run your report to take advantage of this expanding benchmark data set.
We intend to make the assessment available for at least 12 months from launch (until November 2014), and we will update it as and when improvements become necessary. If for any reason we have to discontinue the tool, we will provide prior written notice to everyone who has used it.
Who has produced the assessment?back to top
1.2. Signing up, Signing in, and managing your account
Will I have to sign up to use the BPM/BRMS Self-Assessment?
Yes, you need to register with us in order to use the BPM/BRMS Self-Assessment. To register, just click the "Register" link at the top right of the website.
The login that you will use for the assessment is separate from any other login for the Progress website.
Do I need to provide an email address to sign up?
I have forgotten my password. Can I get a new one?
Visit the Reset Password page. You'll need to provide us with the email address you registered with: if it matches a customer record in our database we'll email a new password to that address. You will be given the chance to change the password to something more memorable the next time you login.
Why do I need to provide details about my geography, organization size and industry?
We use this information to benchmark your organization against others in the same geography, industry and of a similar size, which you can see if you download the action plan report.back to top
1.3. Privacy and security
Who can see my information?
Is the assessment anonymous?
Completely. When calculating industry or geographic benchmark reports, the data provided to customers is completely anonymous.back to top
2. Working with the Self-Assessment
2.1. Creating, editing, saving, and restoring an assessment
How do I create a new assessment?
Once you have logged in, select [take the assessment] from the homepage. If you have completed any part of the survey before you will see an option to clear the data and start the survey again.
How long does it take to finish the assessment?
The self-assessment has 56 questions, split into five dimensions: Lifecycle, Organization, Governance, Architecture and Technology. Assuming you have all the information available for these five dimensions, it should take no more than 20 minutes to complete. Don't worry if you do not have all the information to hand: you can save your work at any time and return to it at a later date, once you have the information to complete unanswered questions.
How do I calculate my assessment score?
Calculate your assessment score at any time by selecting the [get your results] link at the bottom of each section of the assessment survey. Your results will be generated automatically, and will tell you which parts of the survey have not been completed, if applicable.
How do I get the action plan report?
Once you have generated the results of the assessment survey, you will see a section on the results page called [taking further action]. From here you can click to download your detailed BPM/BRMS Action Plan report.
Can I update my answers to the questionnaire?
Yes, you can amend your answers to the questionnaire and you can then generate an updated version of your personalized report.
What happens if I make a mistake? Do I have to undo all of my changes?
If you make a mistake, the assessment provides a couple of features to make it easy to correct things:
- If you want to correct an answer to a specific question (i.e. select completely agree instead of partially disagree, for example), just click on the corresponding radio button
- If you want to change a complete section, just press the [reset this section] button associated with that assessment section. All your answers in that section will be reset.
- If you want to undo all your changes since you last saved your work, go to the start of the assessment and use the [click here to clear the data and start again] link in the yellow box.
2.2. Using the assessment
How can I get help on answering the questions in the assessment?
The assessment offers context-sensitive help, in the form of popups that are provided for each section and subsection of the assessment. Just click on the [?] links next to section headings and subsection headings within the assessment.
How is the BPM/BRMS Action Plan report created?
The personalized action plan is produced using a model which maps your scores in each assessment section and subsection to a database of actions. The model also understands dependencies and relationships between sections, subsections and questions, and takes those into account when generating the action plan.back to top
3. Generating your personalized BPM/BRMS Action Plan report
What is the personalized BPM/BRMS Action Plan?
Once you have started out with the self-assessment, you can download your "personalized action plan" report. This professionally formatted report includes:
- the scores from the online report
- detailed benchmark comparisons for your industry, company size and geography
- (most importantly) a personalized action plan based on your responses to the self-assessment.
The PDF report is dynamically generated from your most recent self-assessment data each time you access it. This means you can work through the questionnaire once, download the report, and then – some time later, as you progress through your BPM/BRMS initiative – re-run questionnaire and obtain an updated report. There's no cost involved with this.
How do I access my report?
At any time during the self-assessment survey, you can choose to 'save your work' or 'get your results'. Click on 'get your results' and you will see your high-level benchmark result in the form of a spider diagram. On the right of that page you will see a yellow button with an invitation to 'click here to download your BPM Action Plan personalized to your business needs'. Click there, and you will be prompted to download your automatically generated PDF report.
To access the report at any future time, just visit the Self-Assessment page.back to top